This page is dedicated to compiling information on the singer-songwriters and bands that defined the "Los Angeles" sound of the mid-1970s.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

James Taylor's Band: 1979


Check out how many familiar faces we have here. This was James Taylor's band from the "Flag Tour 1979." From left to right we have: David Lasley, Arnold McCuller, James Taylor, Waddy Wachtel, Don Grolnick, Leland Sklar, Danny Kortchmar, David Sandborn, and Russ Kunkel.

This picture actually gives me a really great lead to follow: Waddy Wachtel. I don't know a whole ton about him, but I did see him play on stage this past summer at a Stevie Nicks concert. I know he has been her lead guitarist for a while, and I know that he worked with Warren Zevon for a long time too, but beyond that I bet he has an impressive resume to explore.

This is a website all about Waddy Wachtel: http://waddywachtelinfo.com/index.html. There will soon be a post all about Wachtel's connections as well.

In terms of "The Section," Kortchmar, Kunkel, and Sklar are all present here too. The only one missing is Craig Doerge on the piano. Some of the new names Grolnick on keys, Sandborn on sax, and Lasley and McCuller on background vocals. I will be exploring their careers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment